Thursday, April 8, 2010

Plymouth Design: In Its New Home!

Got the banners all finished and ready to deliver a few days before my Easter deadline. Plymouth Congregational Church UCC is right downtown in Seattle,
and the building itself is a cathedral-sized affair. I think the ceiling is about 50 feet high. That's why the silk paintings had to be so big. In fact, I took my proportional cues from the panels in between the glass windows, which are 30 feet by 6 feet.




I like the way the columns of windows frame the banners, just as they frame the solid panels. Apparently this church was originally designed for stained glass where all the panels are! What a jewel box this would be. The silk will give just a taste of what the stained glass could be. Maybe in the future?









Here is the inside of the church, and the banners hanging in front. Hopefully now the banners will do their work, reminding people of the sacred nature of our local creation, and the story of transformation and metamorphosis that the butterfly teaches us.


The butterflies that inspired these designs are all local to our Northwest area. Here are their names in the order from top to bottom of the banners:

Banner 1
Western Tiger Swallowtail
Viceroy
California Sister
Western Swallowtail (again)
West Coast Lady
Buckeye
Melissa's Blue

Banner 2
California Sister
Painted Lady
Anise Swallowtail
American Lady
Lorquin's Admiral
Great Spangled Fritillary

10 comments:

Adrianne said...

BEAUTIFUL! I am definitely going to make an effort to get downtown to see these. Great work as always. Miss you.

patricia belyea said...

As a member of Plymouth Church, I can say that your banners are truly a modern wonder. It is interesting that you noted that the church, in almost pilgrim simplicity, lacks stained glass windows. The building was considered a very avante garde design in the late 1960s when it was built. Your artwork brings a rich touch to its austerity.

I am pleased that you opted for the vibrant background colors instead of solid gold. The full palette is a better representation of the hearts of our spirited congregation.

Kristen Gilje said...

Thanks Adrianne. I hope you do stop by to see them.
I miss you too. Congrats on your engagement!!!

Dear Patricia,
Thank you very much. Plymouth is still an intriguing and unusual building. It harkens back to the true cathedral space while preserving protestant simplicity, as well as connecting with "modern" archetecture of this time.
I also am glad to have gone with a more colorful background. Much more fun to paint!

merci33 said...

Your banners are breathtaking...stunning...absolutely glorious.

Unknown said...

Your work is gorgeous! How beautiful!

Kristen Gilje said...

Thanks Merci33 and Claudine.

Anonymous said...

Oh, gosh those banners are gorgeous! I hope I get to visit Seattle again sometime, so that I can see your banners in person.

Karen McLain said...

Wow, absolutely beautiful! I would love to see them in person. I found myself holding my breath for a second there!

Kristen Gilje said...

Thank you so much, Lynn and Karen.

Catherines' Art Adventures said...

Kristen, your banners are beautiful!!! I live in Poulsbo WA so we are kind of neighbors. http://fosteringart.wordpress.com